BUSINESS AND FINANCIAL MANAGER
Organization: New Camaldoli Hermitage
Date Posted: December 29, 2016
Location: Big Sur, California
Type of Position: Independent contractor; 20 hours per week (12 to 16 hours on site)
Education Requirement: Bachelor’s degree (a Graduate degree is desirable)
Experience Requirement: At least 10 years of business and financial management experience preferably with non-profit organizations
New Camaldoli Hermitage is a community of Roman Catholic monks whose life is dedicated to contemplation and prayer. The Hermitage was founded in 1958 and is located just south of Lucia, CA in Big Sur. To support themselves the monks run a retreat facility, a gift shop/bookstore, and a development office. They also produce fruitcakes, granola, and honey which are sold in the gift shop, to local retailers, and online. (www.contemplation.com)
As directed by the Prior and the Domestic Council, the Business and Financial Manager will set the Hermitage’s financial policy and direction while also being an active participant in the Hermitage’s overall strategy. S/he will lead all financial administration, business planning, and budgeting. As a member of the senior management team, the Business and Financial Manager will work closely with the Financial Advisory Board, auditors, and other business office service providers.
Key Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Consult with the Prior and Domestic Council on all operational and strategic issues as they arise: provide strategic recommendations based on financial analysis and projections, cost identification and allocation, and revenue/expense analysis.
- Participate in the ongoing strategic/master planning process as an integral member of the planning team.
- Oversee long-term budgetary planning and cost management in alignment with the Hermitage’s strategic plan and long-term mission.
- Oversee budgeting and the implementation of budgets so as to monitor progress and present operational metrics. Develop and maintain a monthly operating budget and annual operating budget for the Hermitage. Review monthly results with the Prior and department managers.
- Use forward-looking models and activity-based analysis to provide financial insight into the Hermitage’s plans and operating budgets.
- Assist with corporate governance: annual meeting/minute book
- Ensure that the business office staff maintains systems in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and monitor the use of all funds.
- Ensure that internal control systems are in place and being followed adequately.
- Continuously monitor processes for ways to streamline and improve efficiencies.
- Assess and evaluate the financial performance of the Hermitage with regard to its long-term mission and operational goals.
- Provide insight and recommendations regarding both short term and long term growth of the Hermitage.
- Review all month end closing activities including general ledger accounts. Review and analyze monthly financial results and provide recommendations.
- Oversee the human resources function including development and enforcement of best practices, hires, firings, disciplinary actions, evaluations, benefits management, salary/wages review, workers comp, and the employee handbook. Review payroll reports.
- Oversee information technology service provider and related security areas.
- Manage cash, investments, and other asset areas. Maintain banking relationships.
- Review insurance policies for coverage and cost and manage transition if deemed necessary.
- Explore new investment opportunities and provide recommendations.
- Engage with the financial advisory board to develop short term and long term plans, projections, and budgets.
- Remain current on audit best practices, and state, federal, and local law regarding Hermitage operations. Ensure the filing of relevant tax returns.
- Oversee audit preparation and audit process.
- Oversee the business office documentation and updating of job descriptions.
Submit resumes to:
Barbara Zielinski, CPA
Zielinski & Associates, P.C.